First underwhelming tow experience with Sportage(long)

ImMrBill

Reaction score
Traded in an awesome 2016 Soul for my 2020 Sportage AWD. The reason for the trade in was the Soul supposedly has 0 towing capacity. I own a 4x8 Teardrop trailer that scales out at 650 pounds. I towed it from Montana to Washington with the Soul, with out a hickup, despite no tow rating. So I buy a 2020 Sportage AWD with supposedly 1600 or 1800 towing capacity. Well loaded up the Sportage and the Teardrop and hit the road for a 6 week road trip. 2 days in to the trip I returned home. The towing with the Sportage was an exercise in futility.

I was on a narrow, winding 2 lane road in Idaho On one side is a river and the other is rock cliffs, no pullover space. The Sportage decided to go in to limp mode with no warning. There was a line of cars behind me who were unable to pass on this curvy road while I was driving 5 mph for about a mile. Stepped on the gas all I wanted it would go no faster. A couple minutes later it just started and ran like normal.

3 miles up the road was a campground so I pulled in there and came home today because I no longer trust the Sportage. My gas mileage went to 14 mpg while towing. Now i'm afraid it's going to leave me stranded. I live 35 miles from the nearest town and need a reliable car. Sportage now has 8,000 miles. I'm of the idea it's useless to call KIA because there were no codes thrown