Why Not Better MPG?

cajun1955

So I bought a nice, 2008 Sportage LX, with the standard SUV bells and whistles. With a small 2.0l engine, I anticipated highway MPG of at LEAST in the low 30 mpg. I'm incredibly.disappointed to learn that, at best, it looks like the high 20's is what I can anticipate. This is after switching to 5W20 full synthetic oil, changing the spark plugs (iridium), plug wires, air filter, insuring tires are properly inflated, etc.. Dealer tells me what Im.getting is typical and it's down to ECU programming, for which nothing can be done. My Mazda Tribute, also loaded and with a 1.7l engine, got at least 10 mpg MORE! What say you?

TruckinThumper

high 20s???? I would be happy with that.

Considering I have only filled up 6 times, I am at an avg. of 19 mpg.

High was 23

I also only have about 1500 miles in it too, so it may get better.

I am hoping for around 23 or so.

ENU

I drive uber in my 17 Sportage lx and I am getting 29~33mpg. Burns a little oil but it has 113k. When new, before uber, I was getting 34. I am going to do a tune up soon.

cajun1955

I drive uber in my 17 Sportage lx and I am getting 29~33mpg. Burns a little oil but it has 113k. When new, before uber, I was getting 34. I am going to do a tune up soon.
I did a THOROUGH tune up, even replacing the ignition coil pack and wires with high performance ones. YOU are reporting the kind of mileage ALL four cylinder Sportages should get!

jrkj7274

I’m driving a 2017 EX and I’m getting around 20 to 23 city and about 26 highway. That’s driving in the ECO mode. Drops well below that in any other mode.

RsFKevSki

2021 LX, ECO mode only. VERY easy on gas (tach never reaches 2k RPM) and use Cruise 90% of the time. 120 miles/day commute, only 20 of which is city, and I average 30-31mpg. 2500 miles already and this is only week 4 of ownership. Previously drove a 2018 Soul 1.6L with similar results.